Subscribe to my full feed.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Looking for a Mentor - Blue

My first mentor... Let's just call him Ivan for now... was a very interesting figure. He started in his industry at the bottom working his way up. He had to do all of the 'dirty work' for years before he received any recognition.
He taught me that I should never be afraid to do whatever it takes to succeed. No matter how the odds are stacked up against me, I should always know that I am going to come out ahead. These words have stuck with me ever since then. Without his help, I doubt I would ever be where I am now- the head of a business, a family man, and active within my community.

The Platform

Mentors are very important. They teach you life lessons that would take years to learn by yourself. Think of their advice as a platform that helps you get a jump start. Rather than having to climb and climb, to reach it, their advice lets you start from much further the chain of success.
When it comes to entrepreneurship and starting your own business, I recommend seeking a mentor. Tell them your ideas, and let them be your first critics. The harsher and more honest they are, the better it will be for you in the long run. Stick with them for as long as you can, because their help will be the catalyst for your success. Never forget the advice of those wiser and older than you, because history inevitably repeats itself.

"Study the success and failure of those around you, and you will learn the roots of success itself!"

Choosing a Mentor

The first place you should look for a mentor is within your immediate family. It should be someone that you trust implicitly. Never forget- someone that knows everything about you and your business has the potential to do the most damage! Most families have that one person that has been everywhere and done everything. Talk to them and see what they have learned along the way. Bounce ideas off of them, and see how they reply. If their opinions and beliefs are in line with your own, then don't worry about asking them to become your mentor and guide.

When it comes time to ask, never underestimate the power of persuasion. If they are hesitant at first, offer them something to make up their mind ;-) Just kidding. This thing that I agree with RedRicky on- It's usually best to get volunteers, not employees. People that are in it for the money won't always provide the best guidance. 

Board of Advisors

A mentor is one thing, but having a group of "know-it-alls" telling you what to do. By having a mentor, you only have one opinion different from your own. This lets you weigh your own opinion against you mentor's without having to contend with that of twelve others.

No comments: